"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Monday, July 28, 2014

Romana the 2nds Pinafore

Yes I do have a kind of cosplay ADD...can't stop my mind from wandering onto the next project. I'll be sewing regency but thinking doctor who. lol!
Anyway my current cosplay idea is to make a Romana outfit. The first one that sprung to mind that I could gather together with mostly what was in my wardrobe was the one she wears in City of Death.
I have a suitable blazer I can sew a patch on. I can make the sweets badges. I have a suitable shirt and a strawboater. I just needed to make the pinafore and buy some red shoes and a red tie. Easy enough...or so I thought.

 First I draped the skirt. Two rectangular panels, pleated on the dress form. So far so good.
Then I tried to drape the bodice. This wasn't working. Fortunately I had just enough fabric left to make a bib style pinafore.
I found I had to raise the waistline slightly as the 'bib' wasn't quite as wide as it needed to be. I then had to make a few darts in the front bib to make it sit right and not gape stupidly.
I also added some tabs at the sides to help keep the sides from opening too much.
Next part of the costume is to modify the jacket, by sewing on 'patch' and making the badges.


2 comments:

  1. I have the same ADD, don't worry! I like your pinafore, looking forward to see the rest take shape :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm hoping ot spead out the sewing for this cosplay. Then have intense 3 weeks sewing my 2nd cosplay..once I decide what to make. lol!

      Delete