"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Bonnets, Bergere, bother and bodging!

I need to make myself a new bonnet as I'm going to loan mine to my friend for her regency costume for JAF Bath.
I would like one like the bonnet above. I did try to make a bergere as well but that ended up a disaster and in a fit of pique I chopped it up and its becoming a new brim for a bonnet.
I covered it with a white silky material and it ended up looking like a fried egg had been dumped on my head.
So I cut out the centre and cut a V section out of the brim. I was pretty annoyed with it so hacking at the thing with scissors made me feel better.

 So I need to draft some kind of crown for the bonnet.
As you can see in my inspiration image that the curve needs to end just below my ears. I ended up tapering the ends so it was more crecent moon shaped. Then taking the strip of buckram I had left in my stash I pinned it in a circle and adjusted it till it fitted my head. I found that I had to cut the two ends of the strip as a diaganol. so it tapered slightly. I also had to cut a semicircle out where my neck would be.
I then glued the last of the millinary wire round the top of the crown. Before the slow process of glueing the brim to the crown. Burnt my fingers on the hot glue gun a few times. Ouch!
side

Back

Front

This was the result...next challenge is covering the bonnet. eeep!


No comments:

Post a Comment