"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Friday, February 14, 2014

Sew Casual - some thoughts

Every time I get to a weekend I look at my wardrobe and think...I haven't got anything casual to wear round the house. You know on the days you don't want to 'waste' your normal clothes when you know no one else will see you but you don't want to be lazy and hang around in your pj's and dressing gown.

I will not resort to the ubiquitous 'onesie' or tracksuit. I want something easy to wear but not look like I'm wearing a giant babygrow or about to go out jogging. ;)
So I am looking into history for inspiration. I can see several options....obviously this has been a problem throughout history.

Tea Gown/Asthetic Dress - meant to be worn at home or when close family and firends visit. Next step up from a dressing gown really.
House Coat/Dress - I've seen a few of these from a 1920's, 30's, 40', 50's and 60's. Always reflecting the current fashion trend.

They tend of be of the 'wrapover' kind. Not sure what you would wear underneath, a slip perhaps?

Or would some elasticated waist trousers and a vest top work?

What do you think? What is your choice of vintage 'at home' wear?

1 comment:

  1. I make calf-length skirts from two quarter-circle panels, mainly for church but I often end up wearing them working around the house as well. They don't constrict, and they drape nicely when cut on the bias. I think they look very 1950's, and somehow I feel more domestically inclined when I wear them.

    ReplyDelete