"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Thursday, January 9, 2014

HSF 2014 - Challenge #1 - Make Do & Mend (Dorothy Dress)

The Challenge: #1 Make do & Mend
Fabric: Gingham
Pattern: None. Self Drafted.
Year: 1939/1900
Notions: Plastic boning. Zipper. Buttons. RikRac Trim.
How historically accurate is it? Depends when its accurate to...I like to think its close to the film version.
Hours to complete: 15 Hours.
First worn: N/A
Total cost: N/A (made from my stash)

The book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was printed in 1900, the film The Wizard of Oz was released in 1939. The film looked like it was a 1930's view of the 1900s outfits. I didn't have any silver shoes...so I went for the film costume as my reference.

Well my kirtle didn't turn out as planned. So I thought Make Do & Mend. I'll reuse the bodice and also use up some of my fabric stash.
Making do with the fabric I had available and mending my mistake with the bodice. This was my first time using boning so I didn't know quite how to place them for best effect.

Bodice before decoration

I used the red gingham as lining. And used my blue gingham as my exterior fabric. I made the skirts slightly A-line and gathered at the waist. I'm going to use a zipper for the back for ease of dressing.

Now I like the long length which would be more 1900's style...but as I want to use this for dancing it will have to be the shorter length.

I put a few tucks in and then a wide hem. That way if later I decide I want it long I can let it down.

 It's shown here on dress form with my 50's petticoat just so you could see the tucks properly.

1 comment: