"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Friday, August 3, 2012

Regency dress...modesty and material

I tried my dress on the other day and realized as the light shone in the window behind me that was having the issue that my fabric was a little too transparent. A bodiced petticoat is in order. Although as I am wearing a corset I won't need the boning. So something like this one? Or Should I just have a suspendered petticoat?
Thing is I'm not sure of which fabric to use.


There's the fabric I used for my mock up which is quite stiff (curtain lining).
fabric bottom right

Or there's some (what I was told) was linen. But its stiffer than I expect linen to be and has 'slubs' in the fabric but sill not as stiff as the lining.


Or I have some cream polycotton I was going to use with the polkadot for a top.

I have 2 metres of each of the fabric.

Erm help?

2 comments:

  1. You can make a gathered tube that finishes under the bust, even with elastic if you aren't going for an all-the-way-through suthentic thing, and add a couple of shoulder straps to it to hold it up. These would go on the outside of your bust. I believe such petticoats were fairly common. Without elastic of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To save money and fabric I dragged this
      http://stitchintimeandspace.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/dresses-patterns-etc.html
      out of the wardrobe and 'adjusted' it. Adding darts and changing the waistline to fit more smoothly.
      Although it shows over the top of the dress neckline...so looks like a fichu to hide it will be a must.

      Delete