"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Monday, March 19, 2012

Sewing Vintage

Well folks I'm going to have a go at some genuinely vintage patterns not retro reissues but genuinely old. They even smell all musty and have been cut out.
I erm.... bit the bullet and entered the vintage contest at sewing pattern review...Eep! Tis scary.
Vintage Contest
Firstly got to make sure one of the patterns I've picked out fits the criteria. Has to be 1978 or earlier in date.
Choice 1

Choice 2

Choice 3
Those are my 3 options...although my plan B is to do the 1920's house dress from the pattern archive.

The vintage patterns will involve me having to 'grade' the size up as they are 2-3 sizes too small.
I've never done this before so hopefully if its successful will be a new skill learned.

5 comments:

  1. WEll you've done a wise thing, these patterns will have better markings than today's models. It's the really old ones that are a 'mare! Would you hold out for a pattern your size? In fact, what IS your size, I may have something I can pop in the post to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the offer...I will be ok. I have just remeasured myself and it seems all the dancing I've been doing has had an effect I've lot 2 inches on the key measuring points. This means if I choose pattern '1' and add 2 inches all round to the pattern I think it should fit. It seems to have plenty of ease.
    One thing I've noticed is despite having a collar and cuffs no interfacing is mentioned??

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done for finally getting the patterns approved on PR. I am glad you perservered. I was thinking of taking part, but I realised I have several other deadlines which will suffer if I do. I thought of offering to send you one or two of mine when they kept nixing everything you came up with! anyway, looking forward to see how it develops.
    Sandy in Bracknell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support. I hope that perseverance will stand me in good stead when making up the items. As I know mum has sewn them before I can ask her advice. She said the blouse was the nicest blouse she ever made...so I hope it will work for me too.

      Delete
  4. Wow, a contest?! You are so brave!L

    ReplyDelete