"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Monday, February 13, 2012

While I'm wrestling with shirt sleeves..here's a hat

You all know...well you should know I can sew hats, bags and quilts in my sleep. To quote someone from a sewing forum 'quilts *always* fit'. And as I'm testing my brain power to try to get the sleeves to work on my shirt (It's definitely the sleeves, I managed to find half an inch each side seam and now the body of the shirt fits nicely but as soon as sleeves are added I have trouble.) I decided to make something simple....to reassure me I can actually sew.
So I chose to do this hat. I used up more of that green material (its never ending it seems...but I paid a lot for it I'm going to use it....and it is nice to sew with, I'm just not keen on the colour.)


I decided to make a little bow with some off cuts to make it more feminine. Might look nice with a 40's suit (in gabardine)? It fits me but sits on the back of the head rather than more forward as I like my winter hats to do (keeping your ears warm) so might be a summer hat. I also added some loops of embroidery thread (in green so not easily noticeable) so that I can use bobby pins to secure the hat more easily. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Ah yeah! It looks lovely. I used to make berets before, but haven't in a long time. But I think it's about time, because none of my hats seems to fit well enough these days. They're just overused I think.
    That's a lovely description you've been using, I'm VERY tempted to make one of those for myself now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, go on make one. We can both wear out hats to M&M. :)

      Delete
    2. I know, that's what I was thinking too, lol!

      Delete